Pageviews l

Sunday 26 July 2020

July winding down

Happy Sunday everyone! Another hot and humid day, although not too oppressive. There is a nice breeze, albeit hot, but it feels good just the same.  I think this is our fourth "heat warning/wave" this Summer. It's been a hot one for sure.

All is good with us and we had a good week. My birthday came and went in a flash.  It was the most wonderful day, from start to finish. I started the day with a nice 40 minute workout, just for good measure. Then I baked myself a cake...a Lemon Torta Caprese cake, recipe from Giada De Laurentiis. I saved that recipe months ago and vowed to make it for my special day. Made with almond flour and white chocolate. It was delicious and looked very pretty. Russell and the pooches spoiled me silly. A special Canada Post delivery came in the morning....delivering the most beautiful water colour of Cooper & Spicy. Needless to say I cried when I opened the package. The most thoughtful gift I ever received. Russell found this lady in Saskatchewan a few months ago and made it all happen. On Monday, we both went to the framing store and chose the perfect frame/mats. It will be ready in 10 days or so. This water colour will have a special place in our bedroom. I can already sense some very peaceful nights down the road.

Russell also surprised me with a Kindle Oasis.....wow, I am so in love with my Kindle! Such a joy to read books now, and I have lots to read...reading is a hobby I've always enjoyed but even more so since the start of the pandemic. Every day, a few hours of "me time".

So, here we are, the last week of July. This is crazy, really. The Summer is going by way too fast for my liking. Even though we haven't been doing much, it still has been a great Summer and we look forward to a few more months of nice weather.

Today, we had another nice walk by the lake. It was very breezy and the water was a bit choppy. We watched the waves for some time....not quite Barbados waves but these will do for now. As we were getting ready to leave, we heard firetrucks and police sirens. Sure enough, there was a sailboat in distress and the marine unit came to the rescue. They towed the sailboat back to the marina and all was good. During that time though, people were gathering around and getting very curious.....we quickly noticed how easy it can be for some people to forget about social distancing. We didn't....we kept ours and had no issue. Some wanted to get close to us and pat our dogs...we said "no thank you, you can enjoy our dogs at a distance". It's a way of life now, and it will be for quite some time, so we have our rules and are sticking by them.

Today would have been Russell's dad's birthday. He would have been 91. He is always in our thoughts and we miss every day.

That's my blog for today. Enjoy this last week of July!


Making a wish...won't say what it was and it's not what you may think

Spicy can't help herself sometimes and showers me with
kisses...all while taking a good look at my cake!

My homemade Lemon Torta Caprese cake...it was
simply delicious! Happy Birthday to me!

This water colour portrait perfectly captures the spirit and
essence of Spicy and Cooper! A wonderful birthday
gift.

Not quite the waves and shoreline of Barbados but this
is a lovely setting for a dog walk on a hot Summer day.

Spicy and Cooper stop to catch the cooling breeze in a
nice shaded spot.

A little excitement as the Marine Unit launches their boat
to rescue a disabled sailboat in Lake St. Louis.









No comments:

Post a Comment