Pageviews l

Sunday 3 February 2019

Game Day!

Super Bowl Sunday! In less than two and a half hours, the biggest football game of the year will take place. Oh so exciting, especially with the Patriots playing. I'm not a football fan during regular season but I do enjoy the games leading to Super Bowl....and I do enjoy watching Tom play.

So, here we are, on this first Sunday of February. I'm happy January is behind us, worst month of the year for me. February is usually pretty good, with Russell's birthday and Valentines Day, although I will be glad when we're into March. It will mean that Russell's knee will be that much better.

On that note, Russell continues to improve. His swelling is way down, his mobility and flexibility have improved greatly. He can bend his knee at 90 degrees now, on his own. He has graduated from using a walker to using a cane, as per his physiotherapist recommendation. He can walk unassisted although it is not recommended yet so he does it for a few steps only. At this stage of his recovery, it is easy to overdo it and this can lead to a set back. So, easy does it Russell. Although he did practice stairs at the hospital (that was a requirement for his discharge), he has not yet gone into the basement. The physiotherapist will do stairs with him in a week or two. The pain is still there, no doubt about it, however we are cautiously optimistic that Russell has turned a corner on that front. The past two nights have been his best and the days are much better. I can see it in his eyes and his overall demeanour. Today is Day 17 post surgery. So far, the new knee is doing what it's supposed to do. It's all good.

Other than that, all is good with us. I went back to the gym last week and it felt good. It was nice to see my buddies and get the body moving. The one thing that we take from Russell's surgery is the importance of being functionally fit, especially as we get older. Russell's overall body strength and musculature are playing a huge role in his recovery because of that. Don't need to go to the gym for that, it can be done at home but it's so important. So, when I don't feel like working out, and it happens, I do it just for that reason.

Our weather hasn't been that bad. We were expecting a huge snow storm last week and got nothing. It was a pleasant surprise for me when I woke up as I fully expected to have to shovel paths for the doggies. Freezing rain and rain on the way for the next few days though.  Our temperatures have been nice enough for me to take Coop and Spicy on a few walks in the neighbourhood.

Coop and I had Fun Obedience class last Tuesday and boy was it fun! There were only three dogs that day so we had lots of opportunities to practice new things. We were both exhausted when we got home. Tomorrow, the Spice girl and I will visit the residents at Wellesley. Our pooches continue to provide Russell with the best therapy that he so needs.

That's my blog for today. I wish you all a great week! Go Pats Go!


Cooper and Spicy are ready for the big game...bet you can not
tell who they are supporting?!


Backyard amigos...Spicy and Cooper easily navigate the
miles of paths I clear for them!

Two for the road...all booted up and ready to walk the
neighbourhood....Cooper and Spicy are a delight to walk.

Russell pedalling to a place called...nowhere,
this is all about stretching and rebuilding
muscle strength.

1 comment:

  1. Happy to hear that you are progressing so well Russell. The Therapy Dogs must be helping quite a bit. Take care of yourself Anne.

    ReplyDelete