Pageviews l

Sunday 23 July 2017

The language of flowers

Happy Sunday everyone! A beauty of a day just the way I like it. This past week was probably the hottest week of the Summer so far, maybe a tad too hot and humid.  For sure, there were a few days when we couldn't go for a walk with our pooches, just too hot. You will never hear me complain about the heat but I don't like it if it prevents us from walking. Our duo loves going for walks. Cooper is used to our daily walks but Spicy, oh my goodness, she gets so excited when we get the leash ready. She literally jumps up with her tail wagging. But then again, it doesn't take much for Spicy's tail to wag for joy!

All is good with us. We had a good week, which ended with my birthday yesterday.  I had a wonderful day with my three loves.  My day started with lots and lots of Havanese kisses, and lots from my hubby also. We went about with our normal breakfast routine and I went to my 9:30 class at Orange Theory. The Saturday class is usually quite intense and yesterday was no different. It was great and it felt good. I ran a few errands on my way home, so got home at around 11:30. When I walked into the kitchen, I saw a bouquet of roses, still wrapped from the florist, on the counter top. I immediately said to Russell, "who got me flowers"? You see, Russell is not the kind of guy who sends flowers often, like maybe once every few years. That's a good thing because when he does, it is a complete surprise, just like it was yesterday.  I reached for the bouquet and, being the inquisitive person that I am,  I said "you got me a dozen roses and why the orange one in the middle"?

Now comes the story about the language of flowers. For those of you who know Russell well, you know that he never does anything without thinking about it first. So, he researched the language of flowers, particularly the meaning of the number and colour of roses.  Here it comes:  11 roses means "undivided love, forever". Red roses mean deep expression of love. Orange roses are the "wild child of the rose family" and they mean "passion and gratitude".  An orange rose will get the message across with "oomph and elegance" when mixed with another colour.  So, that is the story behind the 11 roses...10 red roses and one orange.  They are on display in our kitchen, I hope they last a long while. Oh, and the florist shop had never heard of the significance of a number and colour of roses in a bouquet.

The day before my birthday, I went to visit my mom with my brother. We had lunch with her outside and it was really nice to spend time with her. She is doing better and hopes to go home in a couple of weeks.  My dad is looking forward to having Mom home with him. Dad came over for dinner on Friday night. It was nice to relax a bit. He is always happy to see us and Cooper and Spicy.

We just got back from K9 Sport Fest in Maxville, Ontario. We spent a few hours watching some dog events such as dock diving and lure racing. It was great. I will post a few pics in my blog next week. It was a wonderful socializing moment for Cooper and Spicy. By the way, those two are getting along so nicely. I wish you all a great week!


My birthday roses...and the story!

A birthday moment in the backyard with our
entire family.

The love-fest that is Havanese.. with Spicy and Cooper.

Me and Mom getting some fresh air and sun.

Backyard antics. Ok...I'll bark says Spicy, Cooper says Ok..
I'll scratch and we can scare that rabbit!

New day lilies.....wonderful.

My brother Frank and Mom...getting a bite to eat outdoors...
nice sun and warmth.






2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great story . The roses are beautiful. Russell you are a thinking man.
    Of course it is nice to see Cooper and Spicy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very romantic indeed

    ReplyDelete