Pageviews l

Sunday 15 January 2017

The Dead of Winter

Happy Sunday everyone!  It is a beautiful sunny Sunday, not too cold and no wind.  The forecast for this week is looking pretty good for the most part, with temperatures near the zero mark. Not bad of a Winter so far for us Montrealers.

Yesterday, I read an interesting article in the Montreal Gazette about "the dead of Winter". I had heard that expression before but never knew that it meant the point where there is more Winter behind us than ahead of us.  According to Dave Phillips, senior climatologist for Environment Canada, that date falls on January 21 for Montreal.  Yay, a good reason to celebrate this coming Saturday!

This past week was good. On Thursday, I attended a retirement lunch in Montreal. It was great to see everyone and celebrate Lise's retirement.

I also looked at my closet and tried to figure out what to bring to Barbados.  I did a little bit of online shopping for shorts and summer tops.  Amazing what you can find online.  Stores like Gap and Banana Republic have a great return policy and make it really easy to send things back.  Since I'm not always sure of the size, I usually order two different sizes and return what doesn't fit.  This week, I want to freshen up the bathing suits, some of Russell's t-shirts and shorts.  We leave in three weeks.  Counting the days.

Yesterday, we became members of the Morgan Arboretum.  The arboretum is a 245 hectare forested reserve on the McGill University Macdonald Campus in Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue.  Dog walking is a privilege restricted to the members who have registered their dog with the arboretum.  As such, each dog must be evaluated for temperament before becoming a member (yes, even dogs have to pay a membership fee).  So, we took the Coop for his evaluation yesterday morning.  Needless to say, he passed with flying colours.  We look forward to many walks in the woods.

Russell has been spending time researching photo opportunities in preparation for our trip to Iceland in the Fall.  On the topic of photography,  Russell came in third in the Natural Landscape photo competition of the Lakeshore Camera Club.  The photo that he submitted is below, a beautiful sunrise taken in Huntsville.  There were approximately 90 entries in total, so well done Russell!

That's it for my blog this week.  I include a few random shots of Cooper (of course) and one taken at the arboretum yesterday morning.  I wish you all a great week!


Snow and icy frost meet the sunrise in Huntsville,
taken in February 2016.

Morgan Arboretum and one of the telescope
 observatory domes.

Cooper says, 'yes - of course I can walk on my
hind legs', now give me the treat!

Is it time to go downstairs to play?

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Russell, the photo is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete