Pageviews l

Sunday 15 June 2014

Happy Father's Day!

I wish all dads out there a happy and fun filled Father's Day.  A special loving wish to my dad.  He is lucky, he had a birthday last Sunday and another celebration today.  Also a special Father's Day wish to Russell's dad who is watching us from up above.  Finally, a warm and loving wish to Cooper's human dad.    Russell sure got his share of licks and kisses today. As I am writing this blog, Cooper is having a nap with his daddy.  Gotta love it!

This past week was busy with all kinds of stuff.  Agility was cancelled due to heavy rain last Wednesday.  I was actually happy as I wanted to get some things done around the house.  Nothing like rain to force people to do some things that they wouldn't do if the sun was shining.

Our trip to Toronto was good, as always.  Cooper also had a good time at Talemaker Camp.  We returned home on Friday afternoon to find out, from our neighbours, that we missed some excitement while we were gone.  A bear was spotted at the bottom of our private road on Thursday morning, sniffing our recycling bags.  Yogi did more than sniffing, he tore a bag apart and John was kind enough to pick up the mess in our absence.  What we didn't notice until Saturday morning is that the bear took another recycling bag and hid it in the forest, about 6 feet behind the metal garbage bear bins.  If it hadn't been for another neighbour noticing some blue plastic in the forest, we wouldn't have known that there was a bag there.  That bag was the jackpot for the bear:  it had the plastic container of a chicken that I picked up for dinner on Wednesday.  Not any chicken....Swiss Chalet chicken!  I guess I didn't rinse it properly so the bear went for it.  Needless to say that we cleaned up his mess yesterday and from now on, we will put out our recycling bags on pick up day.  One thing is for sure, those bear bins that contain the garbage sure are bear proof. No doubt about it! 

Too bad we didn't get to see the bear but according to the neighbour who saw it, it was probably cub size. We are not sure if it's still in the area, probably not.  Having said this, I went looking for the bear bell that I bought when we moved here two years ago.  It was kind of a funny thing to do then and I never used it.  Yesterday, I went for my walk, on my own I might add, and I had my bell with me and a walking stick.  I will say that I am far more afraid of Cooper being quilled by a porcupine than me running into a bear.   Whether I would feel the same way if I did run into a bear, I'm not sure....

As if that wasn't enough excitement, a doe gave birth to a fawn sometime between Friday and Saturday morning on our neighbour's lot.  John & Terri woke up Saturday morning, looked out and there was the doe and her newborn. They took this beautiful picture.   The doe left with her young one a few hours later and wandered into the forest.  We haven't seen them since and hope they are both doing fine.

So, this is the middle of June and the weather hasn't been that great.  We've had some warm weather but the past few days have really felt like Fall.  We've been waking up to single digit temperatures.  I get that this is better than Winter but it would be nice to have some real Summer weather.  Oh well, nothing I can do about it so might as well enjoy what we have.  The sun is finally out now so we will sit on the deck and enjoy it.

This is it for this week's blog.  I wish you all a great week.

Happy Fathers Day.....

A newborn fawn and her mother...wonderful!




No comments:

Post a Comment