Pageviews l

Sunday 8 June 2014

Happy Birthday to my Dad!


Today is my dad's birthday so I start this Sunday blog by wishing him the very best on this special day.  We celebrated his birthday when I was in Montreal a few weeks ago and posted a picture that Russell took of me and my parents in last week's blog.  My dad didn't like himself in the picture because he wasn't smiling.  No problem, I am including another picture that Russell took, only this time my dad is the only one facing the camera and he is smiling.  Here's to you Dad!

This past week went by like a flash. I finished all the planting that I wanted to do. Unfortunately, the deer came by last night and had a feast in the flower bed in front of the house and I have the pictures to prove it.  It looks like their midnight munching was just what they were looking for as they ate most of the cranesbill geraniums and some of the lily of the valley.  From what we have heard and read, they do not like the flowers of the lily of the valley.  No kidding, they ate the leaves and left the flower stems behind.  Thank you deer!  Today, we sprayed all of our plants with Bobbex Deer Repellant.  I don't know why we didn't do this sooner as this stuff works.  We used it last year but forgot all about it this year.  It does not smell good but the smell will go away in a day or so.  I also replaced a few plants with three Barberry shrubs.  It is a known fact that the deer will stay away from those as they have sharp thorns.  They are a nice looking plant nonetheless and produce a nice pink flower in the Spring and beautiful colours in the Fall.  Got to do what you got to do.

Last Wednesday, Coop and I went to our agility class and we had a breakthrough.  I learned a few tricks to increase Cooper's focus and it worked.  He has no issues with the obstacles but sometimes his focus is a little off.  When that happens, he runs away from me and just wants to have fun.  That's okay too but a tad frustrating for me.  Those little tricks that I learned are all about getting Cooper really excited and motivated before we start running a circuit.  Once that happens, then his focus is totally on me as he wants more of what I have to offer him in terms of excitement and motivation. Ultimately, we are doing this to have fun and whatever we can improve can only make him a better doggie.

Our boat was put in the water on Friday.  Yesterday, we had our first boat ride of the season.  It was a beautiful day and quite warm and the lake was calm. Today, the weather is overcast but still warm.  Not much rain in the forecast.

We are off to Toronto this coming Thursday for hair cuts and stuff.  Cooper will be at Camp Talemaker for one night.  He looks forward to it.

That's about it for this week's blog.  I wish you all a great week ahead.

Happy Birthday Dad!

Think I'll eat a little of this and....

...a little of that. Those Duncan's are such thoughtful gardeners!

ooh deer..... truly love Lilly of the Valley leaves NOT flowers.




No comments:

Post a Comment