Pageviews l

Sunday 9 December 2012

Choosing our perfect Christmas Tree

When we woke up this morning, Russell said "let's go get our Christmas Tree".  It was the perfect day for that since we had fresh snow on the ground, the sun was out and the roads were fairly good.  Russell had already found a place, Copeman Tree Farm in Sundridge, about 45 minutes North of Huntsville. So all three of us got in the truck and headed for Sundridge, with our saw.  It was actually a nice drive on Highway 11 North, although the road was partially covered with snow that fell yesterday.  This is our first natural Christmas Tree ever so, when we got to the farm, we weren't sure how to go about getting our tree.  First, we found out that dogs are not allowed at the farm.  At first, we were surprised since this is an outdoor place but we quickly understood why:  if dogs start doing their "business" against the trees, those trees become "marked territory" and you can imagine what can happen once you bring the tree home.....  all this to say that we promised Rick, the Christmas Tree cutter, that Cooper would be a good dog, and he was.  We walked amongst many rows of trees just to find the perfect tree.  We didn't need the saw after all as Rick had a chainsaw.  So, today, we bought our perfect Christmas Tree.  It is outside at the moment, in a bucket of water.  We will wait until Cooper is at day care tomorrow to bring it in and put the lights on.  It will be fascinating to see how he reacts to the tree.  Something to write about in my blog next week, in addition to a video that I will put together.

This past week was rather busy.  I wrapped up my Christmas baking on Tuesday. It took me longer than I thought.  I got a little carried away but I enjoy it. Then, we went to Montreal for a few days to visit our families while Cooper was at Camp Talemaker.  It was a short but very nice visit.  I spent quality time with my parents and Russell did the same with his mom.  We flew back yesterday and picked up Cooper at Nathan and Darlah's.  We were happy to see him.  As usual, he was exhausted from playing almost non stop for two days.  He slept all the way home, and then some more.  When we left Toronto, it was raining and plus 5.  As we were getting closer to Huntsville, it started to snow and was 1 degree.  We got about 5 cm of snow.  It was so pretty to see the snow on the trees.  I attach a picture that we took this morning when we woke up.

This coming week will be busy.  Russell and I have dentist appointments, hair cuts, Cooper has grooming and day care.  In between those appointments, we want to buy another Christmas tree for outside.  I also have to start stocking the pantry and fridge with Christmas "nibbles".  We will have friends coming over throughout the holiday period so I want to make sure that we are properly "stocked".

That's about it for this week's blog.  It is now 4:30.  Cooper is patiently waiting for his dinner, Russell is watching football and I have a pot roast in the oven.  As I am writing this, I look at our view and it is truly spectacular with the snow covered trees.  I really hope that the snow is here to stay, although we are expecting freezing rain tonight.

Rick cuts while Anne and Cooper give 'direction'.
Rick ensured the tree was 'perfect' before cutting.


Sunrise and freshly fallen snow....perfect combination.
Until next week, have a great week everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the photo with Cooper at the tree all decorated. Do you have a theme for your tree?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Mississauga, I used to have a theme as in all pink or all silver, etc. Here in Huntsville, the theme will be "simplicity" ...a few chosen "country" ornaments but nothing too formal. Can't wait to see Coop's reaction!

    ReplyDelete