Pageviews l

Sunday 14 February 2021

Love is in the air

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! What a gorgeous day to celebrate love...lots of sunshine, mild temperatures and the birds are happy. We woke up again this morning to the beautiful mating song of the cardinals. They hang out in the apple tree just outside our bedroom window. Such a nice way to start the day. 

This past week was good but on the cold side. We had a few frigid mornings but interestingly enough, the cold didn't bother Cooper & Spicy. We always keep an eye on their paws and so far this year, no lifting of the feet. 

On Friday, we celebrated Russell's birthday. He was overwhelmed by all the loving and sincere birthday greetings he received from his many friends and some family members. Russell was especially touched to hear from his three distant cousins from across the pond. Cooper & Spicy showered their daddy with licks and kisses all day.  I made his favorite dinner...Coquille St-Jacques, a recipe from Ina Garten. The birthday dessert was a pecan pie, chosen especially to be paired with a 14 year old Oban Scotch, The Distillers Edition, that I purchased back in December. The perfect pairing according to Russell. He truly enjoyed it. Another beautiful Scotch added to his collection.

I have a little story to share about pecan pie. Some 39 years ago, Russell invited his boss, Eddie Ting, over for dinner. We lived in Edmonton then and we were newly weds. Eddie's favorite dessert was pecan pie so I decided to make one for him. A couple of weeks before the boss' dinner, I made quite a few of those pies...I wanted to get it just right. From what I remember, it was delicious and Eddie loved it. I wished I had kept the recipe I used then. So, 39 years later, for Russell's birthday, I thought I could do this again. I was all set to make Ina Garten's recipe but after reading the reviews (at the last minute), I changed my mind. I Googled tons of recipes and settled on one. Well, it was a complete bust. Plan B to the rescue...I got a beautiful pie at our Metro, made locally by La Boulangerie St-Donat. It was truly heaven. By the way, Russell is still in touch with Eddie to this day, which is quite nice. Next time he talks to him, he will ask him if he still likes pecan pie.

This coming week is filled with a bunch of appointments, dental hygiene for both of us, my long overdue hair cut and Cooper's B-12 vet appointment. In between these appointments, it looks like I will be shovelling snow....from what I read, we could get quite a bit over the course of the next five days. I may have to redesign that backyard this year after all!

That's my blog for today. We will go back outside in a few minutes and do recall games with our pooches. It's a lot of fun especially with the many paths that we have. Have a great week everyone. Some of my friends will be celebrating Family Day tomorrow. Enjoy, be safe and stay healthy! 



Happy 66th Russell! Cooper and Spicy joined in
and helped blow out the candles on that pecan
pie.



Pecan pie paired with Oban Distillers Edition....
yummy!


Oban Distillers Edition, we visited
the distillery in Oban.


Besties on the path in the backyard.

Cooper says look up Spicy, that is
where they keep the good stuff.


Paws up...Cooper, good boy!


Paws up Spicy, good girl!




1 comment: