Pageviews l

Sunday 11 March 2018

Together again, forever

Mom and Dad are together again, in a serene place. Last Monday, March 5, Mom passed away peacefully, surrounded by her three children and two grandchildren. Although we are very sad, we are at the same time relieved. As the strong woman that she was, she fought hard until the end. It was time for her to leave us and join Dad.

When I reflect back on the past few months, I remind myself that in life, things happen for a reason. I am a firm believer of that. Although dad's sudden passing was a shock to all, watching my mom decline would have been too much for him, especially these past few weeks. Going first was a blessing in many ways. They are both at peace now, so are we.

Tomorrow is mom's celebration of life. Just like dad's celebration was, it will be simple and yet it will reflect who mom was....a beautiful woman, inside and out, with a heart of gold. Her favorite music will be played, photos of her will be displayed. Family and friends will be present to remember her.

After mom's passing last Monday, a small knitted butterfly was hung on her door.....the freedom of a butterfly, the freedom that comes with the end of life. Such a beautiful gesture.  I cannot say enough about the medical staff and volunteers that have brought care, compassion and love to my mother during her stay at Vivalis, not to mention the support each and everyone gave to our family. Truly an exceptional place.

On a happier note, our little Spicy's hernia surgery went very well. Her incision is healing nicely. Within two days, she was back to her old self, tail wagging, full of love and kisses. The only drawback is that she can't run or jump for 10-14 days. We have re-arranged our living room so that she can't jump on the couches, neither can Cooper for that matter :-)  At night time, we pick her up and put her on the bed. I think she quite likes the royal treatment that she's getting. It's all good.

So, here we are, Daylight Saving Time has arrived. We look forward to brighter days ahead.  I leave you with some photos of my mom and a special photo of a cranberry vase that I inherited from my parents before they passed. Last night, we put tiny lights in it and thought fondly of them. I wish you all a great week.


My beautiful Mother, full of
radiance, elegance and grace.

Mom wonderfully dressed, ready for one of the many gala events she attended with my dad,
 the love of her life.

Mom and Dad enjoying each other, 2013

Me and my mother celebrating their 60 years of marriage this past
August, with her beloved Larry.

Mom's room at the Vivalis and the hand-knit
butterfly hung to symbolize
her freedom after her passing.

The cranberry glass vase, given to me by my
 parents...a wonderful keepsake to remember them.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing. All the best to you, Russell, and your sweet pooches

    ReplyDelete