Pageviews l

Sunday 10 May 2015

Happy Mother's Day!

To all mothers out there, all women and all the moms of loving pets, I wish you all a wonderful Mother's Day.  A special loving wish to my beautiful mom and to Russell's mom who is always watching over us from heaven.

It is a quiet Sunday for us.  We just got back from a walk and it looks like we timed it right.  It is cloudy and it was raining a few minutes ago.  The weather is cooler than it has been this past week.  What an incredible week we just had, weather wise.  I hate to say it but on Friday, it was actually too hot to go for a walk with Cooper.  Too hot for the humans or for our dog?  Maybe both.  This sudden heat was almost too much too soon...but I am not complaining one bit.

Yesterday, we finished our yard work.  Russell blew all the leaves (again) and raked the gravel on the driveway.  I turned the mulch over in all the flower beds and got a peak at what is growing and what is not.  Most plants survived the Winter but a few didn't.  While we were doing our work, Cooper was on the deck watching us and surveying his domain.  His treat was to lick our sweat.  Who needs to towel off when you have a dog that does it for you!

As I was turning the mulch over, I noticed a lot, and I mean a lot, of small plants growing.  At first, I thought they were weeds but then I realized that they were lupins.  You see, last Fall, I went "lupin hunting" with a neighbour, Linda, on Highway 11.  We literally filled large garbage bags with lupin stems that had turned black.  She told me then to simply stick them in the ground and that they would seed themselves.  I was a bit skeptical but I did what she said and stuck hundreds of lupin stems in the ground....she was right. Now we have lupins!

In addition to finding lupins, we welcomed our first hummingbirds of the season. Russell put four feeders out one day last week, and the next day, we had hummers.  Two of the feeders are in front of our kitchen window.  What a pretty sight to see them every day.  Russell had his camera on the kitchen counter and, armed with patience, he got one in action.  Not an easy thing to do especially with hummingbirds.  Good picture Russell!

So, Spring is here to say, and soon will turn into Summer.  With that comes the not so nice little things like mosquitoes, black flies and pollen.  So far, we haven't had mosquitoes and saw a couple of black flies but nothing to write home about.  It is a different story when it comes to the pollen.  For the past few days, we've been wiping down our furniture, inside and outside, to remove the pollen.  Not a good thing.  I want to sneeze just thinking about it.  I suppose if we kept our windows shut, we wouldn't have this problem but since we do not have air conditioning, it is kind of nice to open the windows.  Oh well, that will pass soon.

That's about it for this week's blog.  I will spend the rest of the day with my hubby and the Coop, relaxing and enjoying Mother's Day.  Have a great week everyone.  Looking forward to next weekend, the first long weekend of the Summer and Cooper's birthday! I leave you with a few pictures that Russell took and one that Darlah posted on her blog this morning about Mother's Day.  Couldn't resist that one!

First hummer of the season....found the feeder in 1 day!
Using 1 to 4 sugar mix now.

Anne the human salt lick for the Wet Willy King...Cooper.

Spring growth reflected in Lake Vernon.


No comments:

Post a Comment