Pageviews l

Sunday 18 August 2013

Summer is back!

After a couple of weeks of not quite seasonal temperatures, it looks like Summer is back and here to stay for a while.  Gotta to love it!

I thought this past week would be quiet and not too busy but it seems that we always find things to do around here.  Russell and I spent a good part of the week doing manual labour.  On Monday night, we received our shipment of river rocks - 8 to 12 inches with oversized ones as well, 4 tons of them, quite large I might add.  So Tuesday, we moved most of the stones around the wood shed to keep the gravel in.  Some stones were moved by hand, some in the wheelbarrow manned by Russell.  Lots of hard work but it's a good job done.  Russell also painted the wood shed.  It looks very nice in a barn red colour.

On Wednesday, we went to the garden centre in Barrie.  Lots on sale so we bought twelve ornamental grasses.  I planted those on Thursday but not before I went to my first spinning class at the gym.  It actually happened by accident:  when I got to the gym for my 9 am step class, I found out that it had been cancelled and replaced by a spin class.  I thought, why not give it a try.  It is a pretty intense cardio workout.  I actually liked it and plan on doing that class again.

We didn't do any boating this past week as the weather was quite cool with strong winds.  We did go for a nice ride today.  It was warm and the lake was calm.  I can't say the same about the calmness of the water when we docked.  The waves from other boats made it such that we could barely stand on the dock while tying up the boat.  Today was probably the worst docking we've had so far in terms of waves.  Yikes!

Yesterday, we went to the Highland Games in Bracebridge.  What a fun day that was.  We took Cooper with us and he got exposed to the loud sounds of the Pipe Bands. Everywhere we turned, someone wanted to pat him.  One little boy asked if he could pat our "little fluffy sheep dog".  It was actually cute to watch this little kid pat Cooper.  Back to the games:  we watched the men in their kilts compete in the Heavy Events such as the 20 pound hammer throw, tug of war and caber toss.  Not sure if the men were wearing undies under their kilts....I couldn't tell.  It was a great day and the weather was perfect.  Russell and I even had a beer in the "beer tent".  I attach a few pictures that Russell took.

Last night, we smoked some rainbow trout on the Big Green Egg.  It was delicious and so moist.  We ate outside and later had S'Mores on the fire pit.  To finish off the night, we had the pleasure of having a baby porcupine visit us....but thankfully he was outside the fence.  Cooper did bark up a small storm when he saw Porky.  I cringe at the thought of the two of them coming face to face.  We hope it never happens.

This coming week will be busy.  Wednesday, I have to go to Barrie for an oil change for my Mini. Russell and Cooper will come with me.  We will run a few errands in Barrie while my car is in for service.  We are off to Toronto on Thursday for our hair cuts and an overnight stay.  We also have a few things that we need to get while in Toronto.  Cooper will be having his usual fun at Talemaker Camp.

That's about it for my news.  Not much else is happening other than Summer is going by way too fast so we have to make the best of what is left.  I wish you all a nice week ahead!

View of the bands as they marched in to open the Games!

Highland dance competition on a beautiful sunny day.

Cooper enjoyed the Games from the shade of the beer tent!

The Town Cryer opened the Games in style.

No comments:

Post a Comment