Pageviews l

Sunday 20 January 2013

Can turkeys fly?

Ahhh...one of life's little mysteries has been answered.  Yes, wild turkeys can fly and we saw one on our tree this morning.  At first, Russell thought it was a big bird but it definitely was a wild turkey.  I attach a picture that Russell took of the turkey at 7:30 this morning.  He had his camera on the deck and was hoping the turkey would flap its wings but it didn't cooperate.   After doing a little research, I discovered that, although wild turkeys can fly, the turkeys that we eat do not.  Wild turkeys roost in trees.  I never knew that.

Well, last week when I wrote my blog, we had no snow to speak of. What a difference a week makes.  We now have plenty of snow and the forecasted frigid temperatures for the week will not melt it any time soon.  Although it is very cold, it is truly beautiful out there and the sun is shining...bonus!

This past week was rather busy.  We had a few appointments early in the week, then on Thursday we went to Toronto.  We first dropped off Cooper at Nathan and Darlah's then made our way to Oakville.  We had some shopping to do at Ren's Pet Store, then went to Sherway Gardens to buy a few things. We stayed in Yorkville for two nights. It was really nice and the weather cooperated, although a bit cold.  On Friday morning, we met up with our friends and went to the Toronto Boat Show.  We spent a few hours at the show and got some good information.  We are very much interested in buying a pontoon boat and we saw the one that we would like.  We need to do a bit more research and we also have to secure a slip where we could dock the boat. So, perhaps more on that later.

Cooper had a great time at Camp Talemaker.  He not only played with his usual buddies, but he also got to meet and play with 8 week old puppies.  He was not at all intimated by their small size, and it is my understanding that the small pups were not intimidated by his larger size :-)  When we got home, Cooper slept for what seemed like forever.  Fun play for two full days will do that to any dog!

I would be remiss if I didn't give a little of bit of news about my mom.  She continues to improve.  She is now waiting to be transferred to a rehab centre once a bed becomes available.  This will help her regain her strength and mobility.  She will most likely be there for 3 weeks or so.  My dad visits her twice a day and his visits usually coincides with her breakfast and dinner.  This gives her company and my dad has even helped himself to a few of her desserts.....my dad has a sweet tooth, what can I say.  So, things are looking up.  Russell and I will be going back to Montreal in a few weeks.  This will give me a chance to see my mom and dad again, and Russell will visit his mom, who will be celebrating her birthday in February.  

This week is shaping up to be a cold one for most of Quebec and Ontario.  Good to know that we will not be the only ones freezing....Mr. Winter is back.

A turkey roosting in a tree...he is in the middle of the photo!

About 1/2 a foot of snow now sits on the roof of our home...adding to the insulation!
That's about it for this week's blog.  I wish you all a great week.  I attach a wintery picture that Russell took this afternoon.  Stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment