Pageviews l

Sunday 21 April 2024

April Blooms

Happy Sunday everyone! It's a little on the cool side this morning. I find it's taking a while for the warm weather to come and stay for good. Despite the coolish weather, everything is blooming as it should. 

This past week was good. Our days are much brighter now and the deep sadness of the past few months is mostly behind us. Cooper and Spicy are in our hearts daily and we talk about them often. We always will. Our digital photo frame is filled with hundreds of their photos. Wonderful memories 💕

Russell had the snow tires removed on Monday. The four year lease on our Palisade is coming up in July. Given the low mileage, 18,000 km, we opted to lease a new 2024 Palisade instead of buying the old one. It should arrive in the next few weeks. We have been really happy with that SUV. It is one of the safest vehicles we've had in a long time. 

We had lunch with friends on Wednesday. It was a good way to get through hump day. We shared some good laughs and stories. 

Yesterday, we got some work done outside. Russell washed all the windows and eavestroughs. He also cleaned the gutters and washed the garage door. He's the best window washer in town! I did the garden cleanup, raked some leaves and removed the cover on the VegTrug. Next on our list is to dethatch the lawn.  We also smoked our first batch of cheese, a Monterey Jack and an Austrian Emmenthal. We sat on the deck for a few hours and enjoyed the wonderful aroma of applewood smoke. 

Before I end my weekly news report, I want to share a little bit of information about cholesterol testing, in my own layman's terms. Every year, I have a full blood panel done, including lipids (cholesterol, HDL, LDL). Those tests do not usually include measuring the Lipoprotein (a) levels. Lipoprotein (a), or Lp(a) for short, is a lot like LDL cholesterol  (bad cholesterol) but it is more "sticky" and is usually passed on in our genes. A high level of Lp(a) means a higher risk for heart and blood vessel disease even if all other cholesterol levels are normal, which mine are. What is interesting is that by the age of 5, we should have our "adult level" of Lp(a) and it tends to remain the same for the rest of our lives. So, this test is usually done only once. Although not new, this additional blood work is now recommended by many doctors. On the advice of mine, I had it done last week. I'm glad I did and I'm happy to say that my Lp(a) levels are normal. That's my little public service announcement for this week.

That's my blog for today. I leave you with some cute throwback photos of Cooper and Spicy on our deck.They loved that space. Have a great week everyone!


Cooper and Spicy loved their deck
time...here they are waiting to go 
downstairs for a romp, May 24, 2021.


Spicy laying down while on watch, and
Cooper checks in with us, May 29, 2021.


Up up and away, there must
be treats up there....
Jul 11, 2022.



No comments:

Post a Comment