Pageviews l

Sunday 9 June 2013

Wild week




Since we live in Huntsville, I might as well talk about the wild life that we see from time to time. Not that it's a big deal but it's something to talk about.....This past week, we saw a number of critters. I saw my first fisher about 50 yards away from Cooper's dog run, down in the valley.  We knew they were around but to actually see one made my skin crawl....Cooper would be a great appetizer for the fisher.  So, as usual, we are extremely vigilant when we are out with him, always keeping an eye out for those critters.  Then, on our way to Port Carling, we went through Bracebridge and saw a big black bear right downtown, peering into an RV parked in someone's driveway.  On Thursday morning, as we were about to leave for Toronto, Russell was out on the front deck and saw a big porcupine, slowly making its way to the forest, outside of Cooper's dog run.  Again, my skin crawls just thinking about Cooper coming head to head with a porcupine.  Finally, yesterday, I went to a local garden center (Sandhill Nursery) and as I was driving back home, I saw another black bear about to cross the road but he changed his mind when he saw me coming.  I guess I was driving too fast.....

Other than that, we had a busy week.  We went to Toronto to get our hair cut and stayed overnight.  We had a nice dinner at Dimmi's in Yorkville. We did a bit of shopping but didn't find the things we were looking for.  While we were away, Cooper stayed with Darlah and Nathan and had a great time, as usual.  Aside from playing like a fool with all the dogs, he became acquainted with Abigail's litter, her 5 week old pups.  He was very gentle with them and wasn't afraid of their small size.

The weather has been somewhat crappy lately, cold and rainy.  Today, however, was a sunny and warm day.  We went for a boat ride and I put my new boating license to test.....not for long as I don't care much about piloting a boat (do you drive or pilot a boat...not sure).  Cooper seemed to be enjoying himself.  We had lunch on the boat and had a few treats for the Coop also.

I finished all my planting, for now anyway.  I am quite happy with the result.  We will take pictures later this week, didn't have time for this blog.  The deer seem to stay away from my plants, at least for now.  We know they are around as we see them every day on our septic berm.  Time will tell if our plants are truly deer-resistant.  We are not about to put chicken wire all over our property just to keep the deer away.

My dad turned 80 yesterday, a big milestone.  My mom gave him some fancy coloured bermuda shorts which he really likes.  I didn't ask for their permission but I am posting a picture that my brother took of them yesterday. They both look good.  I hope they don't mind.....

That's it for this week's news.  Have a great week everyone!


Anne takes the helm on Lake Vernon!

Denise and Larry on his 80th birthday !

No comments:

Post a Comment