Pageviews l

Sunday 5 May 2013

It's beginning to feel like summer......

Wow, what a great week we just had, on all fronts!  But I must say that the star of the week was the weather, summer like, sunny and hot, hot, hot!   The forecast is the same for the next few days.  Bring it on!

Russell and I are now "in the groove" when it comes to our respective fitness training.  After trying out many classes, I have found the one I like the best:  Body Pump.  It is a 60 minute weight training class which challenges all major muscle groups. It is a fairly high intensity class.  I just love it and it is extremely invigorating.  I plan on doing that class three times a week.  Russell had his first fitness session with a personal trainer at his gym.  He also went back to do some cardio. He will also be doing  some fitness classes of his own.  Good for him.

As for the Coop, he started Agility last Wednesday.  What a fun time that was, both for Cooper and for us.  Soon after we started, the trainer told us that he is a natural and he should progress quickly.  It is a group of 6 dogs with 3 trainers.  Cooper is the smallest dog, in terms of size, but he is the most agile.  The first twenty minutes of the class was mostly theory meant for the "humans".  Cooper doesn't like theory so he was a tad agitated.  All he wanted to do was get to work! As for us, we re-learned some important training principles.  It was a great day and the Coop deserved his nap when he got home.  We look forward to this week's class.

With the weather being so nice, we didn't do much indoors, including practicing my music lessons.  I went to my class last Thursday feeling like a student who didn't study properly.....oh well, this is suppose to be fun not stressful.  I do want to practice for this coming Thursday's lesson (I promised my teacher) so I plan on playing some notes early each morning this week before the day gets going.

We did some good yard work outside.  Russell raked the lawn in Cooper's dog run.  We will be fertilizing once there is rain in the forecast.  As for me, I deadheaded the plants and was happy to discover that most of them made it through the winter.  As I was sitting on the ground, minding my own business and clipping dead branches away, I heard some noise right next to me.  I looked and there was a garter snake looking at me.  I jumped, screamed, did all the things that most people would do if they saw a garter snake.....OK, I did all the things a city girl turned country girl would do.  Cooper was sitting on the front deck and barked up a storm when he heard me.  Good thing he was attached to his leash......I read about those snakes and this is what I found on Wikipedia:  they cannot kill humans with the small amount of mild venom they produce and they lack an effective way of delivering it.  I feel so much better now!

We spent a lot of time on the deck this past week.  It is such a beautiful time of year and the scenery is amazing.  The leaves are really popping.  We saw a number of boats on the lakes and we look forward to launching our own pontoon boat in the next few weeks.  This brings me to today.  We went to Avery beach for two reasons:  to look at our dock and to walk with Cooper.  We were happy to see that our dock didn't get damaged by the ice and flooding.  Many docks did.  I attach two pictures that we took today.  As for our walk with the Coop, well, although it was nice to walk on the trail with no snow, we didn't expect the trail to be so messy.  There was a lot of leaf debris, and small burrs, which of course stick to Cooper like a magnet.  When we realized that, we decided to cut short our walk.  It's not that we don't want him to get dirty but getting burrs out of a dog with a full coat is not a fun thing.  When we got home, Russell brushed him and he is now back to his normal burr-free fluffy self.

That's about it for this week's blog.  I hope you are all enjoying the nice weather, at least those of you who have it.  I hear that in some parts of Europe, it is still quite chilly.  Have a great week everyone!

Avery Beach dock.

Secure access to the dock is by the keypad entry gate near shore.


No comments:

Post a Comment