Pageviews l

Sunday 24 June 2012

Two thumbs ...almost up!

Another week has come and gone.  This is the last week of June and I'm starting to freak out....just a little.  So much to do until our move.  I have all the packing boxes in the garage and all the packing material but nothing done yet.  I have a good reason for not packing just yet:  I have tendonitis in both my thumb joints, of all places. This little problem is the result of many months of pushing a cookie treat into a very hard rubber toy for Cooper.  I have been pushing these treats with both my thumbs for months now without realizing that I was damaging the tendon in my thumbs.  How silly of me! I have been putting up with this discomfort for quite some time and last week I decided to get some Active Release Treatment (ART) as the pain was becoming quite intense.  I found myself not being able to grip anything with both hands.  This is not a good thing, especially now.  But, something happened during the night as I woke up this morning and noticed an improvement for the first time.  I was able to get the juice carton out of the fridge with one hand.  My right thumb seems much better, the left one is still quite stiff but I definitely see a change. I am excited but I will not go crazy and start packing today....  I will rest my hands for a few more days, get a few more treatments and hopefully by end of this week I will be back to normal. Not so easy for me to do nothing but I have no choice.

Enough said about my thumbs.  Russell had a successful colonoscopy on Wednesday.  Next one is in ten years.  Yay!  Cooper had the runs for a day or so, probably ate too many cherries that keep falling from a cherry tree in our backyard.  We are quite vigilant at removing those cherries when they fall but Cooper managed to get a few just the same.  I gave him some white rice with his kibble for two days and he was back to normal in no time.

Although the sun was out this past week, it was way too hot.  We did not spend a lot of time outside other than for short walks with Cooper.  On Friday, our new bedroom furniture was delivered.  It is beautiful and will look even nicer in our log home.

Last week, we also finalized our internet solution for Huntsville but not before we spent 1 hour and 37 minutes on the phone with Rogers Cable....it seems that it is far easier to send someone to the moon than to try and get internet for a new home.  In the end, we will be using mobile internet, the Rocket Hub, from Rogers and we keep our current email address.  The modem was delivered to our house last Friday. We installed it as we wanted to test it against our existing internet connection.  It is not quite as fast as cable but it will have to do as, although there is cable in parts of Huntsville, the cable doesn't come all the way to our property.  Russell did ask Rogers Cable if they could run it to our house....sure they can, at a cost of $15,000!

On the log home front, lots is happening.  I attach a recent picture of our fireplace, which looks amazing.  The mantel needs to be installed, the chimney will be done this week.  The kitchen cabinets were installed, parging has started and T&G is almost complete.  We made contact with the propane supplier and the tank will be delivered in a few weeks. We even managed to get a deep discount on the propane cost by joining the Lake Vernon Association - thank you Peter McBirnie.

Tomorrow, we go to Huntsville for the day to meet with our landscaper.  We are looking forward to seeing the progress on the home and seeing the landscape design.

Rumble style masonry on the Rumford fireplace....that opening is 42 inches wide
That's about it for this week's blog.  Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment